COAST Fares & Passes
COAST Bus Fares:
COAST "Regional" and "Local" Routes 1, 2, 6, 7, 33, 40 & 41: $1.50 one-way
Passengers "staying on" between Routes 1 and 33 (or vice versa) must pay the fare for each route.
- COAST Clipper Connection (Routes 41cc, 100, 101 & 103): $7.00 one-way
- Transfers are not offered at this time. Passengers must pay fare for each bus when boarding.
- ADA Paratransit: double the full cash fare to ride on a comparable fixed-route(s) one-way
Information about additional fee in Somersworth
- All passengers boarding route 1, 2 or ADA paratransit vehicles in Somersworth will be charged an additional $0.25 fee over the regular fare.
- For administrative reasons we require that the $0.25 fee be paid in cash only. Tickets or ticket punches will not be accepted as payment of the fee.
- There is no half-fare discount on the fee; it is a flat $0.25 for all passengers.
Passengers will be charged the extra $0.25 ONLY when BOARDING in Somersworth, NOT when riding into Somersworth from other communities.
- For example, a rider heading from the Somersworth Wal-Mart to Dover Shaw's would need to pay the fee, for a $1.75 total base fare. However, a return trip from Shaw's back to Wal-Mart would only cost the rider the regular $1.50 base fare because the boarding location is not in Somersworth.
- Passengers boarding Clipper Connection Route 100 are NOT required to pay to the additional fee.
- Children under 5 years of age are NOT required to pay the additional fee.
- COAST employees and holders of a COAST VIP Pass or a COAST Training Pass are NOT required to pay the additional fee.
Fee Quick Guide
- For passengers paying the full cash fare, the fare to board routes 1 & 2 in Somersworth is $1.50+$0.25 = $1.75 one-way
- For passengers eligible for half fare, the fare to board routes 1 & 2 in Somersworth is $0.75+$0.25 = $1.00 one-way
- For passengers using ADA paratransit, simply add $0.25 to the regular cash fare (this should be already calculated into the cost of the ride)
- Passengers using any other fare media (COAST, Wildcat Transit or Clipper Connection Monthly Pass, single-ride ticket, 15-ride punch ticket, GBCC or UNH ID) must present a valid ticket or pass as normal plus pay $0.25 in cash. This includes ADA paratransit clients using ADA tickets.
- Please remember that our drivers cannot make change. We will accept overpayments if necessary; however, we cannot "credit" overpayments towards future trips.
ALL COAST ROUTES:
- All fares are as stated regardless of distance traveled. For example, even if you only travel for one stop on a non-Clipper route, the fare is still $1.50.
- Children under 5 years of age ride FREE. Children aged 5 and older must pay the appropriate fare.
- Children under 12 years of age may not ride unaccompanied.
- Passengers paying with cash must have exact change. Drivers cannot make change on the bus.
- Passengers must pay the correct fare each time they board. Paying ahead for transfers or return trips is not allowed.
- Fare evasion is illegal and punishable by law.
- We offer half-fare privileges to certain passengers. See "Half-Fare Policy" below for more information.
TICKETS and PASSES (what is and isn't accepted):
- COAST 15-ride punch tickets (bright pink, available on any COAST bus for $20 cash) are accepted on routes 1, 2, 6, 7, 33, 40 & 41 for one punch per ride. They are also accepted on Clipper Connection routes for four punches, plus $1.00 in cash, per ride. Each punch covers $1.50 worth of fare, offering a 10% discount off the regular cash fare. Please note: 15-ride punch tickets are NOT accepted on Wildcat Transit routes.
- COAST Monthly Passes ($52) are good for unlimited rides on COAST and Wildcat Transit routes except Clipper Connection routes. Monthly passes are valid for one calendar month. Expired passes are accepted through the 5th of the following month. Click here to download the monthly pass form. To purchase a COAST monthly pass online please click on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right corner of this page. Monthly Passes may also be ordered by calling or visiting our administrative offices at 6 Sumner Drive between 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM, Monday through Friday. If calling, press 3 at the auto attendant.
- Clipper Connection Monthly Passes ($255) are good for unlimited rides on ALL COAST and Wildcat Transit routes, and also allow the use of Guaranteed Ride Home for Clipper Connection service (see information on Guaranteed Ride Home on the Clipper Connection page). Clipper Connection passes are valid for one calendar month. Expired passes are accepted through the 5th of the following month. To purchase a Clipper Connection monthly pass online please click on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right corner of this page. Clipper Connection Monthly Passes may also be ordered by calling or visiting our administrative offices at 6 Sumner Drive between 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM, Monday through Friday. If calling, press 3 at the auto attendant.
- COAST Single-Ride Tickets (bright orange) are good for one ride on COAST or Wildcat Transit route except Clipper Connection routes. Simply drop the ticket into the farebox as you board. Tickets are distributed in pairs - each perforated section is good for one ride. White tickets are NOT accepted on any routes.
- COAST VIP Passes and COAST Training Passes are issued by COAST to eligible individuals and are good for unlimited rides on COAST and Wildcat Transit routes except Clipper Connection routes. VIP passes are good for one calendar year.
ID CARDS (what is and isn't accepted):
Any passenger displaying a valid University of New Hampshire ID, Wildcat Transit Monthly Pass, or UNH Continuing Education ID card rides at no charge on all COAST routes except Clipper Connection routes.
- The "University of New Hampshire Libraries" card (white with blue lettering, no ID on the front) is NOT accepted on COAST routes
- ADA paratransit clients who hold a valid UNH ID may ride for half the normal ADA fare.
Any passenger displaying a valid Great Bay Community College ID rides at no charge on all COAST routes except Clipper Connection routes. Please note: GBCC IDs are NOT accepted on Wildcat Transit routes.
- ADA paratransit clients who hold a valid GBCC ID may ride for half the normal ADA fare.
- Students with a valid Portsmouth High School ID ride at no charge on routes 40 and 41 ONLY (Pease/Lafayette Trolleys). They are NOT accepted on any other routes.
- No other student IDs are accepted on COAST routes at this time (including, but not limited to, Franklin Pierce University, Granite State College, Mount Washington College, SNHU and UNH Manchester).
- All passes and student IDs (UNH and GBCC) must be current and valid. Operators will check for current dates and designs and will require passengers to pay cash if the pass is not valid.
ADA TICKET BOOKS:
- ADA Paratransit Ticket Books ($24) can be used by eligible passengers when taking COAST ADA paratransit trips. Each ticket in the book covers $3.00 worth of fare. To order ADA ticket books, please download the ADA ticket book form or use our secure online purchasing portal by clicking on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right of this page.
- COAST is a pay-as-you-board system - just bring exact change with you to the bus stop. When you get on the bus, drop the money into the silver fare box next to the driver. Please note that COAST cannot be held responsible for accidental overpayments. Please make sure that a $1 bill really is a $1 and not a $10! Once you put money in the farebox it cannot be returned. Overpayments cannot be used as "credit" towards future trips.
- If you have a ticket or pass, you must present it as you board the bus. DO NOT assume the driver will remember you from a previous trip. You can buy a Monthly Pass from the COAST office or on our website (please click on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right corner of this page). You can also buy a 15-ride punch ticket from the operator for $20 cash.
- COAST single-ride tickets (small orange perforated tickets) are distributed to community agencies for their clients' use. They are not available on our buses. A single ticket is good for one trip on any COAST or Wildcat Transit route, except the Clipper Connection. When boarding, simply drop your ticket into the fare box as you would for cash.
- ADA paratransit rides can only be paid for with cash and/or ADA tickets (worth $3.00 each). Drivers cannot accept checks, make change or give "credit" for overpayment.
Passengers 65 years of age and older, passengers with disabilities, Medicare cardholders, and COAST ADA paratransit clients are eligible to board COAST fixed routes for half the regular cash fare*. To qualify, please show the bus driver a valid photo ID along with one of the following upon boarding:
- COAST Half-Fare Card
- Medicare card (red, white, and blue)
- COAST ADA Paratransit Card
- Passengers 65 years of age and and older need only show a valid photo ID
The half fare policy applies to COAST's fixed route service during all hours of operation, but is not applicable to COAST's ADA paratransit service or to COAST passes or tickets. We recommend that passengers eligible for half-fare pay their fare in cash.
Green Medicaid cards and Wildcat Transit Half-Fare Eligibility Cards are NOT accepted for half fare on COAST buses.
*Half fare on routes 1, 2, 6, 7, 33, 40 & 41 is $0.75 one way. Half fare on Clipper Connection routes (41cc, 100, 101 & 103) is $3.50 one way.
When purchasing by mail please send a completed order form for monthly passes and ADA ticket books, and/or instructions for other fare media (i.e., drop tickets, 15-Ride punch pass), to COAST at 42 Sumner Drive, Dover, NH 03820. We make every effort to process purchases by mail within 24 hours of their receipt.
When purchasing in person, please visit our new administrative offices located at 6 Sumner Drive in Dover, NH. This location is on the left of the street, just before Dupont’s Service Center, and is clearly marked on the awning in the front of the building. Please remember when visiting that staff is currently available to process ticket and pass sales between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM, Monday-Friday.
When purchasing over the phone please call us at (603) 743-5777 and press ‘3’ when you reach the auto attendant. If you call before 9:00 AM or after 1:30 PM (or on a weekend) please leave a detailed message with instructions on how to reach you between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM, Monday-Friday, so we can return your call.
Remember that you can also purchase monthly passes, Clipper Connection passes & ADA ticket books online through our secure purchasing portal any time.
If you need to call and discuss any issues with regard to purchasing COAST fare media, please call us at (603) 743-5777 and press ‘3’ when you reach the auto attendant. If you call before 9:00 AM or after 1:30 PM (or on a weekend) please leave a detailed message with instructions on how to reach you between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM, Monday-Friday, should we need to return your call.