COAST Fares & Passes
COAST Bus Fares:
COAST "Regional" and "Local" Routes 1, 2, 6, 7, 20, 33, 40 & 41: $1.50 one-way
Passengers staying on between Routes 1 and 33 must pay the additional fare (total cost $3.00: $1.50 for Route 1, $1.50 for Route 33)
- COAST Clipper Connection (Routes 2cc, 41cc, 100, 101 & 103): $3.25 one-way
- Transfers are not offered at this time. Passengers must pay fare for each bus when boarding.
- ADA Paratransit: double the full cash fare to ride on a comparable fixed-route(s) one way
- The North Bus service: $5.00 round-trip
Information about Somersworth surcharge
- All passengers boarding routes 1, 2 or ADA paratransit vehicles in Somersworth will be charged an additional $0.25 over the regular fare.
- For administrative reasons we require that the $0.25 surcharge be paid in cash only. Tickets or ticket punches will not be accepted as payment of the surcharge.
- The surcharge is a flat $0.25 for all passengers; there is no half-fare discount.
- Passengers will be charged the extra 25 cents only when boarding in Somersworth. There is no extra charge for riding into Somersworth from other communities.
- Passengers boarding Route 100 in Somersworth will not be subject to the surcharge as the Clipper Connection is funded separately from our other services.
Surcharge Quick Guide
- For passengers paying the full cash fare, the fare to board routes 1 & 2 in Somersworth is $1.50+$0.25 = $1.75 one-way
- For passengers eligible for half fare, the fare to board routes 1 & 2 in Somersworth is $0.75+$0.25 = $1.00 one-way
- For ADA paratransit, simply add $0.25 to the regular cash fare (this should be already calculated into the cost of the ride)
- Passengers paying by any other method (monthly pass, single-ride ticket, 15-ride punch ticket, GBCC/UNH ID) must present a valid ticket or pass as normal plus pay $0.25 in cash. This includes ADA paratransit clients using ADA tickets.
- Please remember that our drivers cannot make change. We will accept overpayments if necessary; however, we cannot "credit" overpayments towards future trips.
ALL COAST ROUTES:
- All fares are as stated regardless of distance traveled or the vehicle operating on the route. For example, even if you only travel for one stop on a non-Clipper route, the fare is still $1.50.
- Children under 5 years of age ride FREE. Children aged 5 and older must pay the appropriate fare.
- Children under 12 years of age may not ride unaccompanied.
- Passengers paying cash must have exact change. Drivers cannot make change on the bus.
- Passengers must pay the correct fare each time they board the bus. Paying ahead for transfers or return trips is not allowed.
- Fare evasion is illegal and punishable by law.
TICKETS, PASSES AND IDs (what is and isn't accepted):
- COAST 15-ride punch tickets (bright pink, available on any COAST bus for $20 cash) are accepted on routes 1, 2, 6, 7, 20, 33, 40 & 41 for one punch per ride. They are also accepted on Clipper Connection routes for two punches plus $0.25 per ride. The 15-ride punch ticket offers a 10% discount off the cash fare. 15-ride punch tickets are NOT accepted on Wildcat Transit routes.
- COAST Monthly passes ($52). Monthly passes are good for unlimited rides on all COAST and Wildcat Transit routes except Clipper Connection routes. Monthly passes are valid for one calendar month. Expired passes are accepted through the 5th of the following month. Click here to download the monthly pass form. To purchase a COAST monthly pass online please click on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right corner of this page. Monthly passes may also be ordered by calling or visiting our administrative offices at 6 Sumner Drive between 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM, Monday through Friday. If calling, press 3 at the auto attendant.
- Clipper Connection monthly passes ($130). These allow unlimited use on ALL COAST and Wildcat Transit routes, and also allow the use of Guaranteed Ride Home for Clipper Connection service (see information on Guaranteed Ride Home on the Clipper Connection page). To purchase a Clipper Connection monthly pass online please click on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right corner of this page. Clipper Connection monthly passes may also be ordered by calling or visiting our administrative offices at 6 Sumner Drive between 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM, Monday through Friday. If calling, press 3 at the auto attendant.
- COAST single-ride tickets (bright orange). Each perforated section of the ticket (there are two sections) is good for one ride on any COAST or Wildcat Transit route except Clipper Connection routes. Simply drop the ticket into the farebox as you board. White drop tickets are outdated and NOT accepted on any routes.
Any passenger displaying a valid University of New Hampshire ID, Wildcat Transit monthly pass, or UNH Continuing Education ID card rides at no charge on all COAST routes except Clipper Connection routes. When used to ride COAST ADA paratransit services, a UNH ID allows riders to ride for half the normal ADA fare.
- The "University of New Hampshire Libraries" card (white with blue lettering, no ID on the front) is NOT accepted as a pass on any COAST route.
- Any passenger displaying a valid Great Bay Community College ID rides at no charge on all COAST routes except Clipper Connection routes. GBCC IDs are NOT accepted on Wildcat Transit routes. When used to ride COAST ADA paratransit services, a GBCC ID allows riders to ride for half the normal ADA fare.
- Students with a valid Portsmouth High School ID ride at no charge on routes 40 and 41 ONLY (Pease/Lafayette Trolleys).
- NO OTHER student IDs are accepted on COAST routes at this time (including, but not limited to, Franklin Pierce University, Granite State College, Mount Washington College, SNHU and UNH Manchester).
- All passes and student IDs (UNH and GBCC) must be current and valid. Operators will check for current dates and designs and will require passengers to pay cash if the pass is not valid.
- ADA Paratransit Ticket Books ($24). ADA ticket books can be used by eligible ADA passengers when taking COAST ADA trips. Each ticket in the book has the equivalent value of $3.00. To order ADA ticket books, please download the ADA ticket book form or use our secure online purchasing portal by clicking on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right of this page.
- ADA trips can only be paid for with an ADA ticket(s) or cash. Drivers cannot accept checks, make change or give "credit" for overpayment.
- COAST is a pay-as-you-board system - just bring exact change with you to the bus stop. When you get on the bus, drop the money into the silver farebox next to the driver. Please note that COAST cannot be held responsible for accidental overpayments. Please make sure that a $1 bill is really a $1 and not a $10! Once you put the money in the farebox, it cannot be returned to you. Overpayments cannot be used as "credit" towards future trips.
- If you have a ticket or pass, you must present it as you board the bus. Do not assume the driver will remember you from a previous trip. You can buy monthly passes from the COAST office or on our website (please click on "Buy a Bus Pass" in the top right corner of this page). 15-ride tickets are available from COAST bus drivers for $20 cash.
- COAST drop tickets (small orange perforated tickets) are distributed to community agencies for their clients' use. A single drop ticket is good for one trip on any COAST or Wildcat Transit route (except the Clipper Connection). Simply drop the ticket into the farebox as you board.
Elderly passengers (65 years and older), disabled passengers, Medicare cardholders, and COAST ADA paratransit clients are eligible to pay half the regular cash fare on all COAST fixed routes. To qualify, please show the bus driver one of the following upon boarding:
- Photo ID showing proof of age (for elderly only);
- COAST Half-Fare Card and Photo ID;
- Red, White and Blue Medicare Card and Photo ID;
- COAST ADA Paratransit Card and Photo ID.
The half fare policy applies to COAST's fixed route service during all hours of operation, but is not applicable to COAST's ADA paratransit service. Also, there is no half-fare discount on COAST passes and tickets, so we recommend that passengers eligible for half-fare pay the fare in cash.
Please note that unlike red, white and blue Medicare cards, green Medicaid cards are not accepted for half-fare.
Please download and print a Half-Fare application. You can complete the application and return it to COAST at 42 Sumner Drive, Dover, NH 03820.
COAST staff is available to process ticket and pass sales Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM.
When purchasing by mail please send a completed order form for monthly passes and ADA ticket books, and/or instructions for other fare media (i.e., drop tickets, 15-Ride punch pass), to COAST at 42 Sumner Drive, Dover, NH 03820. We make every effort to process purchases by mail within 24 hours of their receipt.
When purchasing in person, please visit our new administrative offices located at 6 Sumner Drive in Dover, NH. This location is on the left of the street, just before Dupont’s Service Center, and is clearly marked on the awning in the front of the building. Please remember when visiting that staff is currently available to process ticket and pass sales between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM, Monday-Friday.
When purchasing over the phone please call us at (603) 743-5777 and press ‘3’ when you reach the auto attendant. If you call before 9:00 AM or after 1:30 PM (or on a weekend) please leave a detailed message with instructions on how to reach you between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM, Monday-Friday, so we can return your call.
Remember that you can also purchase monthly passes, Clipper Connection passes & ADA ticket books online through our secure purchasing portal any time.
If you need to call and discuss any issues with regard to purchasing COAST fare media, please call us at (603) 743-5777 and press ‘3’ when you reach the auto attendant. If you call before 9:00 AM or after 1:30 PM (or on a weekend) please leave a detailed message with instructions on how to reach you between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM, Monday-Friday, should we need to return your call.