Clipper Connection Information
About the Clipper Connection
The Clipper Connection is COAST's express bus service to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and Portsmouth.
The project is funded in part with support from the US Navy's facilities division (NAVFAC) as well as a USDOT Congestion-Mitigation/Air Quality (CMAQ) grant. The routes currently operating are hoped to be just the beginning of what is expected to be a larger, multi-route service covering much of southeastern New Hampshire and border communities in southern Maine.
The service is open to the public, but serves primarily employees of the Navy Yard and Portsmouth.
Routes by community
Click a route number for more information, including specific pickup locations in each community and the schedule.
|Origin 3||South Berwick|
|Destination 1||Navy Yard||Navy Yard||Navy Yard||Navy Yard|
Portsmouth (Market Square)
|Portsmouth (Market Square)|
Service between Portsmouth and the Navy Yard is provided via the Lafayette Road Trolley (route 41cc). Please see the route 41 schedule for this information (the runs are marked on the schedule with an asterisk *). A Clipper Connection monthly pass or base cash fare of $7.00 is required to ride to/from Kittery on route 41cc.
Clipper Connection Information
How It Works
- All COAST bus routes are open to the public.
- Buses will fill on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Our MCI commuter coaches can seat up to 55 passengers. No standees are allowed, but the seating capacity is more than adequate at this time.
- We may use other equipment in our fleet as our operational needs dictate. All of our transit buses have the capacity for at least 43 passengers (including standees) and most can carry 75+. There may be occasions in which some passengers are required to stand, but we try to keep these to an absolute minimum.
- Our ADA-compliant buses are able to transport two passengers using wheelchairs or other mobility devices if necessary.
- Each bus can carry 2 bicycles on the front bicycle rack on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be prepared to lock your bicycle at your pick-up point if the rack is already full.
- Schedules are approximate. Please arrive at your stop 5 minutes before the published time to ensure you don’t miss the bus. The morning buses will not depart any timepoint early. The afternoon return buses will not depart the Navy Yard early, but all stops thereafter become drop-off only and may not run exactly according to schedule.
- All morning buses will drop passengers off at Wallingford Square on Government Street, located just outside of Gate 1.
- Routes 100, 101 and 103 will pick up in the afternoon at the Navy Yard in front of Building 86. The Lafayette Road Trolley (41cc) will pick up at the truck inspection station located outside of Gate 1. ALL BUSES DEPART PROMPTLY AT 3:40 PM.
COAST is the main contact if you have questions, complaints, or suggestions about our service – please do not contact staff at PNSY with these issues. If you need to contact us, you can reach us by phone at 603-743-5777.
- Questions about the schedule, if the bus is late, stop locations, etc. go to Dispatch. Press 1.
- Complaints (and commendations!) about the service go to our Fixed-Route Operations Supervisors. Press 4.
- Suggestions, planning, and service requests go to our Director of Operations, preferably emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Clipper Connection.”
COAST will operate service in just about any weather. In the 2008 ice storm, COAST buses continued to run without incident, despite no power to our radio tower or dispatch center. In the unlikely event of a major service interruption, notice will be posted through as many of the following means as possible:
- All local radio stations
- New Hampshire’s WMUR and Portland’s WCSH
- COAST's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/COASTbus)
- Our Twitter feed features regular updating for service conditions. @COASTbus (www.twitter.com/COASTbus)
- Our website will be updated for planned service outages
- Our phone system greeting will always be updated during bad weather with up-to-the-minute status of bus departures.
- COAST observes six holidays on which no service is operated: New Year’s, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Days.